Community Outreach and Social Justice
Richfield UMC partners with vetted organizations for compassion and justice outreach. This approach helps the church practice priority thinking, act with integrity, and maintain missional alignment with causes. Sign up for monthly updates to help your neighbors!
Current Project: Refugee Welcome Kit Donation Drive
You can help now by bringing in your Cub Foods Saver Stamps as we earn free KitchenAid cookware for refugee families. We have earned and secured 3 of the top-tier 8-quart covered stock pots – amazing!
October 29 – November 26
Bring items to campus for the drive, including:
Shower Curtains, Liners, and Hooks
Laundry Detergent and Laundry Baskets
Towels (Bath, Hand, and Washcloths)
Or donate online so the Minnesota Council of Churches refugee services can stretch our giving even further!
Most Recent Project: Fall Food Drive for VEAP
August 13-September 24
Bring a full bag of groceries for VEAP Food Shelf to campus or donate online so VEAP can stretch our giving even further!
Receive updates on ways to help your neighbors! About once a month, you’ll get an email filled with ways you can participate in food and donation drives, special fundraisers for nonprofit charity partners, and other social justice action. You’ll also get updates on fun community events and other partnership opportunities.
2023 Outreach Projects so far included...
- ONGOING: PILL BOTTLE RECYLCLING sends dozens of gently-used pill bottles to Matthew 25 for other nations to dispense pills securely. (Washed, dried, and capped amber pill bottles only, thank you.)
- SPECIAL FUNDRAISING for nationwide immigration lawyers and advocacy justice networks, mental health services in Minnesota, Native and Indigenous community centers, and the Minnesota Council of Churches refugee services.
- RAPID RESPONSE RELIEF FUNDS to aid challenging situations around the world in Turkey, Syria, Ukraine, Haiti, and beyond through the United Methodist Committee on Relief (UMCOR).
- YOUTH MISSION TRIP to Detroit, Michigan for urban farming developments, local beautification and home improvement projects, and workshops with local Black entrepeneuers through Motown Mission.
- HOSTING AND PROVIDING MEALS for families experiencing homelessness through the “Families Moving Forward” program of Beacon Interfaith Housing Collaborative.
- WRITING AND DELIVERING OVER 40 POSTCARDS supporting the Bring It Home MN legislation campaign for more affordable housing opportunities – and it passed!
- NEW DONATION DRIVE EFFORTS to build welcome kits for new Minnesota neighbors who were refugees from Ukraine and sub-Saharan African nations in partnership with the Minnesota Council of Churches: Refugee Services.
- Over $7,000 and over 500 lbs. of funding and food donations for local food shelves, statewide food pantry efforts, mental health services, in 2023 so far!
Other recent outreach projects since 2020 include:
- OVER 10,000 lbs. and thousands of dollars of donation drives of food, health and household items, and school supplies for VEAP Food Shelf, the West African Family and Community Food Shelf of Brooklyn UMC, and the statewide Minnesota FoodShare effort.
- THE SOUPER BOWL DRIVE of canned soups leading up to the Big Game.
- 24 FLOOD CLEANING BUCKET KITS assembled for UMCOR Natural Disaster relief.
- UMC SPECIAL OFFERINGS on Native American Ministries Sunday, Peace with Justice Sunday, UMCOR Sunday, UMC Student Sunday, and World Communion Sunday.
- MANY SPECIAL OFFERING RECIPIENTS INCLUDING the Ayn Dah Yung Center, Beacon Interfaith Housing Collaborative, Every Meal (formerly The Sheridan Story), Growing Hope Globally, Heifer Project International, the Immigration Law & Justice Network, Minnesota Council of Churches Refugee Services, Minnesota FoodShare, Twin Cities Food Justice, and offerings with other United Methodist Churches that went to Red Bird Mission, Simpson Food Pantry, Holy Grounds community meals for people experiencing homelessness at Centenary UMC, Mankato, and many more!